Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bonjour Cupcakes: Flurries, Flourishes, and Failures

Even though my dreams to create the first cupcake cafe in my hometown were crushed when a Bonjour Cupcakes settled into downtown between a vintage boutiquery and truly "odd" shop, I desired to give them a chance before passing absolute judgement to doom them to failure (hey, maybe they could give me a job!).  From passing by, I knew my chances were slim as the windows contained antique wooden chairs with swirly painted wooden signs clearly advertising chic and polished intentions.

All in all, I saw potential as a little bell jingled on the way in, announcing the arrival.  It was a hum of a kitchen that greeted me next.  I noted that some soothing music would have been a welcome touch, instead of seeing directly into the kitchen and instantly picturing all the cookie sheets and cupcake tins that would have to be cleaned only moments after emptying and cooling.

Display cases aligned to present the numerous options available to the hungry customer.  I eagerly searched, I knew what would be the absolute fool-proof litmus test for a good cupcake.  When I did not find one, it nearly knocked me off of my feet.  Who does not have vanilla frosting topped with vanilla buttercream at 1:00 in the afternoon?  Whether they ran out or simply overlooked this seemingly insignificant combination, the options that remained were slim for anyone who is intolerant to chocolate.
(I know, who does that apply to, right?  It must be only me).

Therefore, the only option that remained was a "vanilla base topped with raspberry-pineapple-apple buttercream" encased in a plain brown to-go box.   Despite reservations, I took the risk.
As you can see, chunks of pineapple are evident, sweet apple flavor is absent, and the only thing distinguishably raspberry is the color of the buttercream.  The vanilla base was dense and on the dry side, the buttercream lacked flavor and the texture was unattractive.  Over half went uneaten.  I'd say my dream is coming back into focus.

As always,  Love & Cupcakes!
xoxFlowerbomberxox

1 comments:

Kayla said...

I totally understand. I don't really like chocolate cupcakes or cake... Maybe it's a twin thing! :)

Post a Comment